Prior to co-founding Baker Young some 25 years ago, Alan was one of Australia’s leading Fund Managers at National Mutual (now AXA), managing some of the companies best performing Investment Portfolios in Australia for several years.
In his twenties Alan entered Stockbroking and became both a member of the Australian Stock Exchange and co-founder/co-owner with David Baker of his own Stockbroking business.
He is a leader in his field and is one of the most informed and innovative Stockbrokers in Australia.
Alan has been a regular guest on talk back radio on investment and finance, has been regularly quoted in the press over the years, has published articles and is a past Principal Lecturer with the Securities Institute.
He has wide-ranging business interests and is heavily involved in a number of South Australian based and owned businesses covering investment, viticulture, horticulture, health, education and the arts, and print & online publishing/media.
Alan’s strengths lie in funding, establishing and developing new businesses and enterprises to trade in the long-term and in business management advice.
- 2009 Queen’s Birthday Honours: Awarded Order of Australia as a Member in the General Division for service to the community, particularly through business advisory roles with health, medical research and educational organisations.
In recent years Alan has created the vision for and spear headed the implementation of three major innovative Projects in South Australia, including the construction phases;
- $30million Flinders Centre for Innovation in Cancer Care housing more than 100 Health and Medical Researchers, working alongside a multi-disciplinary care team.
- $200 million South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI) which will house more than 700 Health and Medical Researchers working together to search for better treatments and cures across themes including: cancer, nutrition & metabolism, infection and immunity, health mothers babies and children, heart disease and mind & brain embedding a special focus on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health. SAHMRI will become South Australia’s Flagship Health and Medical Research Institute and whilst independent it has uniquely the State’s three Universities and the Government as stakeholders.
- A home for the Adelaide Central School of Art (ACSA) through the acquisition of five iconic buildings on the fringe of Adelaide’s CBD at Glenside (also home of the South Australia Film Corporation) and the restoration and upgrade of these buildings at a cost of more than $10million. ACSA is a leader in Visual Arts Education in South Australia and has a unique Studio Based Fine Art Practice.
- Co- founder and Chairman of Belvidere Winery, one of Australia's largest independent wine processing businesses;
- Co-founder and Chairman, Flinders Medical Centre Foundation, funding Medical Research, patient care and teaching at one of South Australia's largest co-located public hospital's and university;
- Co-founder and Chairman, Flinders - Bio-Medical Enterprises Pty Ltd, South Australia's newest bioscience company targeting Asia, designing and building new biomedical devices and teaching hospitals how to use them both here and overseas;
- Chairman, Solstice Media, independent print and online publishers of a suite of titles including its flagship, the Independent Weekly an independent newspaper produced by South Australians for South Australians. The online daily publication In-Daily by South Australians for South Australians. Interstate Solstice Publishers the online daily publication New-Daily, in conjunction with Australia’s Top Industry Superannuation Funds;
- Chairman, Adelaide Central School of Art, one of Australia's few remaining private degree conferring Visual Arts Schools;
- Co- Author, Shine Young Report, A review of Health and Medical Research in South Australia commissioned by the South Australian Government, authored by Alan Young and Professor John Shine AO, CEO Garvan Institute, Sydney. The South Australian Government accepted the recommendation to establish a new flagship Health and Medical Research Institute and subsequently received a grant of $200million out of the 2009 federal budget to establish the new Institute.
- Co-founder and Vice Chairman of the South Australian Health & Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI), which is the Flagship Institute for health and medical research in South Australia; a $200 Million headquarters is under construction and will house over 700 researchers.
- Director NoQ Inc. USA a parent company of NoQ, a unique turn-key e-commerce solution to the mid-tier Grocery Market in the United States and Australia. NoQ was a SouthAustralian start-up Business
- Co-founder of Little Love Co Florist Pty Ltd a South Australian Retail Boutique Florist Business;
- Past Member, Business Advisory Panel for St Vincent de Paul (SA) Inc. which provides specialist advice to assist management and counsel with their services and programs to further the mission of St Vincent de Paul of offering “a hand up” to people in need and encouraging them to take control of their own destiny.
- • Companion of the University – Flinders University. The award recognizes his contribution to the University through his commitment to medical research
- • Advisor to Guide Dogs SA, using expertise with dogs, and in sensory service provision to enhance the quality of life of people with disability